The Forgiveness Prayer-
"In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God’s grace that He lavished on us with all wisdom and understanding" Ephesians 1:7,8
The forgiveness prayer is perhaps one of the most powerful of all prayers. Forgiveness will release us from the bondage we incur through unforgiveness of ourselves, others and God.
Our refusal to forgive eventually leads to entrapment, estrangement and resentment. Entrapment is much like attaching ourselves to an anchor and dropping it into the sea. If we keep holding on to that anchor we will eventually cause destruction to ourselves and others. Estrangement hurts, we long for reconciliation yet our response is retaliation. We want those who have hurt us to suffer as we have. Resentment means: to feel again–we rehearse and rehearse the offenses against us. One synonym of forgive is ‘to hurl away.’ We must let go, we must hurl away the injury so that we can experience the freedom, joy, and beautiful, abundant life God has waiting for us.
"Yes, I know what plans I have in mind for you, Yahweh declares, plans for peace, not for disaster, to give you a future and a hope. When you call to me and come and pray to me, I shall listen to you. When you search for me, you will find me. . ." Jeremiah 29:11
Gods’ desires and plans for us are good. We know our loving God pursues us with infinite love, mercy and forgiveness. He wants us to be merciful and forgiving.
(I hope this prayer will help you as it has me. I keep it in my bible and pray it during the times I spend with the Lord.)
Prayer of forgiveness through the Holy Spirit
During this time of prayer you may experience the Holy Spirit bringing to mind times of bitterness, anger, hatred, resentment, and hurt. As specific people and situations come to mind make the decision to forgive and be reconciled. Some may be deceased; take the time to forgive them and release them from any and all offenses.
"And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive him, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins." Mark 11:25
My Father, in the name of Jesus, the Christ my Lord and Savior, I choose this day to forgive everyone in all my life, including myself. Lord, give me the special grace I need to truly forgive, thank you Lord.
As an act of my will: • I forgive God for all perceived: lack of love, abandonment, disappointment, insufficient provision, unanswered prayer and all losses of any kind, especially ________. I forgive you Lord – and repent.
• Forgive myself for all my sins, faults and failings, especially ___________. I forgive myself for not being perfect, I accept myself and make the decision today to stop picking on myself and being my own worst enemy. I release the things held against myself, free myself from bondage, judgments, vows and promises made out off lack of wisdom and without full knowledge, I make peace with myself today, by the power of the Holy Spirit.
• I forgive my Mother for any negativity and lack of love she may have extended to me throughout my life, knowingly or unknowingly, especially ___________. For any abuse of any sort I do forgive her today. For any way that she did not provide a deep, full,
Satisfying mother’s blessing I do forgive her today. I release her from my judgments and make peace with her today.
• I forgive my Father for any negativity and lack of love he may have extended to me throughout my life, knowingly or unknowingly,
Especially ____________. For any and all abuses, unkind acts, hurts, and deprivations I do forgive him today. For any way that I did not receive a full satisfying fathers’ blessing I forgive him today. I release him from my judgments and make peace with him today.
• I forgive my Spouse for any negativity and lack of love extended through our time together ___________. For all the wounds of our relationship I do forgive my spouse today. I release my spouse from bondage and make peace between us today.
• I forgive my Children for any disrespect, temper tantrums, manipulation, hurts, especially ________. I release them from my judgments make peace with them today. Bless them, Lord.
• I forgive my Sisters and Brothers for any negativity and lack of love, especially ___________. For any and all abuses. I release them from my judgments and make peace with them today.
• I forgive my Blood Relative for any lack of love or abuses,
especially________. I release them from my judgments and make peace with them today.
• I forgive my Ancestors for any negative actions that affect my life and make it harder for me to live in the freedom of a child of God. I release them from bondage and judgments and make peace with them today, in Jesus’ name.
• I forgive my Friends, Neighbors for any actions of negativity and lack of love, especially_______. For anytime they abused our relationship or led me astray, I do forgive them. I release them from all bondage and make peace with them today through the Holy Spirit.
• I forgive my Employers present and past for any negativity and lack of love, especially ___________. I release them from all bondage and pray a blessing on them today, in Jesus’ name.
• I forgive all School Teachers for any negative, abusive or demeaning actions, especially ___________.
• I forgive Lawyers, Doctors, Nurses, and other professionals, especially, ___________.
• I forgive all Clergy, Youth leaders, any religious or representatives of the church, especially________. For anytime they abused our relationship or led me astray I release them all, in Jesus’ name.
• I forgive every member of Society and all in Authority over me who have hurt me in any way; those who have hurt me by criminal action or who have harmed my family. I forgive all in public life that has passed laws opposing Christian values. I forgive all the unfair, anonymous sources of pain and annoyance in my life.
Heavenly Father I now ask for the grace to forgive the ONE PERSON IN LIFE WHO HAS HURT ME THE MOST. The one who is the hardest to forgive, I now choose to forgive, though I may still feel angry and hurt. I also make peace with the one family member, the one friend and the one authority figure that has hurt me the most.
Lord, I ask forgiveness for all those whom I have injured through lack of love, negativity or judgment. I ask forgiveness for causing hurt, disappointment of all I have sinned against in any way, in Jesus name and by His most precious Blood.
Lord, is there anyone else I need to forgive? (Be still and listen.)
I now pray a blessing on those who have hurt me. Lord, do something special for each of them today. Thank you, Lord. I praise You. Amen.
Forward /graphic design by Dolores Milazzo-Hicks,
With permission excerpts Fr. Robert DeGrandis-
“Ten Commandments of Prayer” booklet, 9/78;
Linda Shubert, “Miracle Hour of Prayer, January 24, 1992
Scripture references Luke 17:4, Eph 4:31-32, Col 3:13, Mt. 6:14, Mt 5:44, Lk 6:35, Gal 5:14, 1 Th 3:12, 1 Pe 4:8, I Jn 4:12, 2 Tim 2:24, Tit 3:2, Jas 3:17, I Pe 1:22